June 3rd, 2013 at 5 p.m.
Each year, the SCBWI sponsors four conference scholarships for full-time graduate or undergraduate students studying illustration. (Two for the New York conference, two for the Los Angeles conference). Scholarship applications for the 2013 Summer Conference in Los Angeles open March 1st!
Each scholarship will provide
- Admission to all conference events including keynotes and breakout sessions
- Entry in the Juried Portfolio Showcase. *Note: The winner of the Los Angeles portfolio showcase receives a trip to New York City to meet with art directors
- The Illustrator Intensive (Los Angeles)
- An individual portfolio consultation with an illustrator, agent or art director (Los Angeles only)
- Exclusive exposure to art directors at the conference
Transportation, accommodation and related expenses are not included.
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as a full time graduate or undergraduate student at an accredited educational institution. Applicants cannot have published a picture book or have received this scholarship before. SCBWI reserves the right not to award the scholarships in any given year.
To apply for a scholarship, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A description in 250 words or less of why you wish to attend the SCBWI Conference. Description must be in the body of the email, not in a separate attachment.
- Three samples of your children's book-style illustrations in separate attachments (not in one pdf.) The title of each file must be structured as follows: first name_last name_1 (please do not include titles of the pieces)
- A letter of recommendation from an Illustration Faculty member. The letter should be emailed directly from the faculty member and must be in the body of the email, not in a separate attachment. The subject line should be structured as follows: SIS recommendation (Student Name)
- Your address, full name as it is listed in your school's records, phone number and a photo of your current student I.D.
- The subject line of your email must be structured as follows: SIS Your Name
Applications are due June 3rd for the Summer 2013 Conference. The winners will be notified six weeks prior to the Conference.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen by a rotating jury composed of three industry professionals.
NOTE: In the event that a recipient can not attend for any reason, the grant committee should be notified as soon as possible. The scholarship may, in that event, be awarded to another applicant. The grant is not transferrable and cannot be postponed.
May 31st, 2013 at 5 a.m.
Students have started a petition in an attempt to halt the removal of Pratt Cats from the Brooklyn Campus. Prattcats are a vital element of the Pratt landscape and must be helped!
April 21st, 2013 at 6 p.m.
The Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park is a nonprofit group formed to provide a voice for the Park's unique and diverse resources. We're a group of park goers and friends dedicated to supporting and enhancing this park. Our organization's goal is to provide meaningful opportunities for people to develop special relationships with the Park and contribute to the Parks' programs and stewardship. We are offering you an opportunity to enter our Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt (FoFDR) State Park logo contest. The contest is open to all college students (aged 18 years old or over), faculty and administrative staff. The winning logo design will represent our organization on our Internet homepage, T shirts, mugs, stationery etc.. There will be one winner. The name of the winning designer and the logo will be presented publicly at the FDR State Park "I Love My Park Day", May 4th.The winner will receive a letter of appreciation from our organization and the park manager. Their design will be on display in the FDR park office for a limited time and their name will be announced publicly. The winner will sign over full and complete copyright authority of the winning logo design to the Friends of FDR State Park. FDR State Park is located in northern Westchester County, New York. Our park is visited by nearly 500,000 thousand people from all over the United States annually. The park offers picnicking, boating on Mohansic Lake, a 3,500 person capacity swimming pool, licensed fishing, ice skating, disc golf, numerous walking trails, playgrounds and basketball courts, educational programs and many other enjoyable activities.
Rules on Submission of Logo Designs:
1. Must be an original design created by the person submitting the logo
2. Submit two variations of the logo
-Complex design: with full name of organization (for ex. T shirts and mugs)
-Simplistic design: leaving out some of the elements and must include the abbreviation, "FoFDR" (for ex. clothing patches, signs)
3. Must be a combination of text (stating the name- "Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park") and image (ex. lake)
4. Should convey the ideas/concepts of community, conservation and recreation
5. May be designed by hand or by computer
6. Should contain two or three colors only. One of the colors must be green.
7. In black and white, the logo must be easily reproduced, recognizable and offer excellent contrast
8. Must be visible and scalable, at least 8"x10", and visible and effective at 1"
9. Must be submitted as jpegs, at least 200 to 300 ppi
10. Must include with the submission your full name, street address and telephone number
11. Must be 18 years old or older to enter this contest
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission: 6:00 PM, April 21, 2013.
The winner of the contest will be notified by email or telephone on April 30, 2013. The public announcement of the winner and display of the logo will be May 4th at 11:00 AM, on "I Love My Park Day", at the FDR State Park. Members of the Board of Friends of FDR State Park and their families are not eligible to enter the contest.
April 15th, 2013 at 5 p.m.
Departmental scholarships are now available in the ComD office.
Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2013 at 5PM.
Visit the office for details.
April 10th, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
Jing Wei Brings May Flowers